Last week we had our ultrasound to see if the baby was a girl or a boy. It would not let us see and just so you know, today we couldn't see either! We will find out on Monday with the preliminary test results from the amnio! I will post again Monday.
Now onto what we have learned...(be forewarned, it's not good news!) The doctor scheduled a follow-up in two weeks (when we get the rest of the amnio results.) When asked by the scheduler what we were being seen for she said "multiple congenital anomalies with a possible chromosome abnormality."
I'll start from the head down. There are several cysts on the baby's brain. They are called Choroid Plexus Cysts. Alone they could be fine. They are however, with other symptoms which the baby has a marker for a chromosome abnormality. Also, it has a single artery umbilical cord. Instead of two arteries and one vein in the umbilical cord, our baby just has one of each. That also is a marker for a chrom abnormality. Seen alone, the baby could be fine. Next, the first ultrasound showed a bend in the arm, and extra bend in the arm where one shouldn't be. In today's ultrasound, both arms are actually affected. It's down by the wrist and I don't know how else to explain it. The heart is abnormal. It's tilted forward so it's not sitting right in the chest cavity and something is wrong with it. It was hard to get a really good view of it with the angle it was at but it definately was not normal. While we were watching we'd see episodes of it slowing down really slow and then starting back up again. Weird and scary! Also, the baby is measuring small. They think he/she may have a club foot and maybe something wrong with it's hips (hence the reason for not showing us it's special parts!) The baby also has an omphalocele. (you can see it on the ultrasounds above the belly.) That's where the intestines and possibly some of the organs are outside the baby's belly. They think the stomach and maybe some of the liver is out there. I think it would also have a detached esophagus because I don't think it could reach all the way down it's body, out into the omphalocele and into the stomach. Also, clenched fists and overlapping fingers were seen at times. Possibly a small jaw and lowset ears. The most common thing for a baby to have that has cysts on it's brain and the umbilical cord problems along with the other stuff is for it to have a chromosomal abnormality called Trisomy 18 or Edward's Syndrome. I think that's what we are looking at because the baby has like everything on the list of symptoms! One thing they told us, which I think is very important to know is that if it has Trisomy 18, even with no other symptoms, the baby's chance of survival is the same. It's very low. If the baby can manage to grow and live until the due date, and can survive delivery the average lifespan is anywhere from dying at birth to 5-15 days. I know this probably sounds terrible. And yes it is. We are trying to deal with everything though and we know that Heavenly Father has given us this special spirit for a reason. I don't know how long he/she will be with us but I know he/she will always be our baby and we'll be able to be together again someday (along with Kaitlyn!) I hope to treasure any of the moments we are able to spend with it (I hate calling it it! Can't it be Monday yet so I can know the gender!?!) Another important note is..."This type of trisomy is not hereditary, and is not due to anything the parents did or did not do." Shawn worried because his brother has trisomy problems and he thought he maybe brought those cards to the table. Not true! It happened at conception and it's just how the chromosomes lined up!
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Baby Update...
Thank you so much for all the prayers, fasting, support and thoughts on our behalf! They did not go unheard! I know it seems like it didn't help the baby get better but I don't know that that is in His plan. It does and will help us to be able to handle what we are going through and help us have peace and be happy again. My hardest thing is telling the kids about all this! Adults are a different story, they can find a way to deal. Little kids are so innocent and may have a hard time understanding why bad things have to happen. Any suggestions? Seriously! It makes me cry every time I think about the fact I will have to sit down and tell Karah and Alyssa their baby brother/sister is really sick (they already know we think the baby is sick and we needed to get extra tests) but how do I tell them that the baby in my belly that they talk to and sing to and cuddle with is not going to survive? Karah is so so so excited for the new baby and I know it will just break her big sweet heart! Hopefully, they can find peace in this as well! I know it's all in how we present it to her and handle the situation. I am just dreading it! She already asked me why I had to get a needle poked in my belly... One good thing is the baby's face looks fine so if it's body is a little scary for the kids we can wrap the baby in a blanket and let the girls hold the baby and say goodbye! Anyways, thanks for all the support! I think I need to schedule a playdate like every day so people are able to keep tabs on me so I'm not a recluse while Shawn's gone (he leaves Wednesday.) I don't want to hear lectures about him leaving again. His unit wants him to stay home, he wants to stay home and be there for us, but our medical benefits will run out before the baby is born and this could be costly, plus we need the income! (It's like someone saying stay home from your job for 5 weeks with no pay and we aren't going to restart your benefits till you come back and make sure you rack up lots of medical bills.) I know I would rather him go now while we are still fine (I have a feeling we'll be okay till he gets back) instead of really really needing to go in a few months when we really really need him here! Get it? Sorry this is such a long and detailed post! I need to get it all down and in one place before I forget. I will try to keep this up to date so you are all informed. Check back often and I promise to still put up stuff about the other cuties too!
****
Edwards Syndrome : Edwards Syndrome (Trisomy 18) is a chromosomal abnormality where there is an extra chromosome present in every cell of the body. This is an example of where “the more the merrier” is not true. This extra chromosome means that every cell has extra information encoded into it. The extra information causes confusion in the way that the cells are formed and results in the potential malformation of all of the body systems. Just like with Down's Syndrome (Trisomy 21), there is a wide range of how this condition will play out (what the doctor's will refer to as your child's phenotype). Unfortunately because there is more information encoded on the 18th chromosome, the severity of this condition is greater than that of Down's Syndrome. Current studies show that while 1:1500 children will be diagnosed prenatally with trisomy 18, only half that number (or 1:3000) will be born alive at full term. Of those who survive to birth, only half will make it to two months of age, and only 10% will survive to their first birthday.
*****
Some of the typical characteristics of Trisomy 18 can include heart defects such as VSD (Ventricular Septal Defect - a hole between the lower chambers of the heart) , ASD (Atrial Septal Defect - a hole between the upper chambers of the heart), and coarctation of the aorta (a narrowing of the exit vessel from the heart), kidney abnormalities, omphalocele (a portion of the intestinal tract is located outside the stomach in a sac), esophageal atresia (the esophagus does not connect to the stomach, meaning the baby cannot eat by mouth), and polyhydramnios (excess amniotic fluid), clenched hands, choroid plexus cysts (a pocket of fluid on the brain that is not problematic in itself but may be a marker for Trisomy 18), rocker bottom feet, and delayed growth, micrognathia (small jaw), low-set ears, and a strawberry-shaped head, as well as severe developmental delays
*******
What is the Risk of Chromosomal Abnormality? [6-10]Choroid plexus cysts are most strongly associated with trisomy 18 (Edward syndrome). Trisomy 18 (Edward syndrome) is a disorder characterized by severe mental retardation and multiple abnormalities, such as cleft lip and palate (BABY DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE THIS-THANK GOODNESS!), small jaw (micrognathia), low set ears, club feet, clenched fists, intrauterine growth restriction, single umbilical artery, elevated amniotic fluid ( polyhydramnios), and kidney abnormalities. More than 90% of fetuses have a heart defect. The condition is not compatible with life, and only 5% to 10 % of infants survive the first year after delivery
******
Anyone seen that video online that's called "99 Balloons" about a little boy who lives 99 days and when he dies they send off 99 balloons. They celebrated each day they had with him because each day could be his last. I personally think you should cherish EVERY day with EVERY child even if they are healthy because you never know when they or you will be returning back to Heaven. Anyways, I got off topic! The baby in 99 balloons had Trisomy 18. He lived a long time (it looked like he also didn't have much wrong with him) but still it was only 99 days.
*****
There's a website for people who know people with Trisomy 18 or parents of babies with that and it is at...http://www.trisomy18.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage
There are a whole bunch of life stories for babies who have had this along with pictures and just so you know it will make you ball! But if you want to check it out it's at http://www.trisomy18.org/site/TR.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Oh April, I was sure hoping the news would be better today. Life is so absolutely wonderful, but it seems that lately so many families have been given some pretty big challenges, including yours. You will get thru this but don't think you are not entitled to cry and grieve for what you had hoped for. We'll continue to pray for you, your baby and family. Love you ----- Siri
My sweet April,
First off please know of the love and concern I have for you. You are a ROCK! The trials that have been placed in front of you have been tackled with unbelievable faith and strength. I have often looked to you for comfort in those hard times, when it should have been the other way around. You amaze me! (so does Shawn by the way!) Even when I know your heart is being broken you seem to find a positive way to look at it.
Those stories on the website break my heart because I know that is probably what is ahead for you and your family....BUT....If you read the stories that go along with them it gives you great hope that there is a wonderful support group out there of people that can help you through this. They each cherished the moments spent with their little ones. Even if only for a moment. I know your child has a special spirit and I wish the best for you guys. I love you with all of my heart and pray for you continually.
love ya
mom
I've been waiting for your update and now I've read it with tears in my eyes. April, you are one of the strongest women I know. I'm so glad we've gotten to be friends. If there is anything you need please let me know. We're totally up for a play date next week. Just let me know what afternoon you want to get together!!
Oh April, I'm so so sorry. This absolutely broke my heart. I can't even imagine what you're going through, and what you have already gone through...you have amazing faith. We would love to get together and have the girls play sometime, I think that Alyssa and Sisi could get into some major trouble, they seem to have the same type of mischevous personality. :)
April and Shawn-
We are so sad/sorry/disappointed for you. Our family has been praying for you, and will continue to do so. Although there are no words that can take your pain away, I hope that you know that you have many people who care about you and who want to support you through this very difficult time.
Your baby looks beautiful/handsome/adorable! I know that despite all the physical problems that your baby has, he/she has a special spirit and is already very loved by many.
With love, Ben and Robbie
Oh April, I am so very sorry. I can't believe the news. We are praying for you and know you'll be able to get thru this.
Love you!
Jen and Jon Stagg
April you are amazing. You are so strong. I don't know where you get your strenght from in a time like this. I also know that heavenly father is with you every step of the way. I also want you to know that you and your family with have been and will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
April, you are in our thoughts. I am so sorry that you are faced with this. We are thinking of you and your family.
~Bielle and Jason
Oh April, I am so sorry about the news. I admire your strength and faith. We will pray for you and your family.
Hey Big Sis.
I just wanted to let you know that Ty and I love you and your family. What ever the Lord Has planned for your little BOY!!! you can handle it, and I will be there for anything you need. Really!!! You know that Katie Bug just wanted a friend to play with and to keep her company, and also that the Lord knows that you are a STRONG woman that has Faith that your life will be and is BLESSED. Just by knowing that 2 of your children have MADE IT should give you some relief.
I LOVE YOU ALWAYS and FOREVER,
DAWNIE
April. You sweet thing. My heart is breaking for you. Firstly because our due dates are so close. This does not seem fair at all. Secondly, that you are having to endure this after all you have been through. Thirdly, I know what you want to ask, and the answer is YES...please, PLEASE, please, PLEASE ask me. I will do it ANY hour of the day or night...any day of the week...ANYTIME. I will do it. You e-mail me with what you are wanting and we will exchange celly numbers okay?
I love you. I hope that I can do something to help you through this. Here is a blog I have been following since last year in June when she lost her little boy shortly after we lost our baby. Her little boy had the same diagnosis as your sweet one.
http://memarkandmarlo.blogspot.com/
Remarkably she is now expecting identical twin boys! Very inspiring. I know when we are going through trials, it is comforting to have somewhere to go or something to read from someone who is going through the same things as we are. I love that you are sharing the websites too. I am off to devour them (even though I should be working!)
Let us know if we can bring the kiddies over to keep you busy sometime next week. Or, we would love to bring you dinner and watch your girls if you need time alone. :)
April (and family) we just love you oh so much. Our hearts and prayers are with you.
Much love!
April- It just breaks my heart that you are having to go through this! You have been on my mind non-stop the last few days. Know that we will be praying for you and your family- and calling and checking up on you while your hubby is away. If you ever need anything please let me help. I know I have talked to you about my friend Erin, and her sweet daughter that just passed. I wanted to give you her blog- it is www.booferd.blogspot.com- She has SO many different support groups for Trisomy issues and has been through a lot of the same things. Don't feel pressured- but if you want to talk- I know she would love it.
April and Shawn,
When Jason called me from work, and said that there might be something wrong with the baby my heart just sunk! To imagine that you and Shawn might possibly have to endure another heart break such as this, is just unthinkable! I'm praying for you morning,noon, and night! All of the boys are aware of what's going on and from the mouth of babe's Noah said,"Our family is forever,Mom!" I just started crying! You are strong and your unbelievable testimony, and faith will help you through this! Please let me know what I can do to help. I wish, I were there for a play date! I had a way to explain it to the boys why and how sometimes this happens to babies, so if you wanted help, in a way that the girls could understand call me!:o) Love you both, Candace&Jason
I had to laugh when I read your comment on my blog about Lion King. Every time Ali watches the lion king I have to dance also. I too remember all the dance moves. LOL!!! Good times!!! We need to get together really soon. So I'll call you and hopefully we can plan something.
April and Shawn-
I just want to say I am so, so sorry for your sad news. I don't ever know the right thing to say, but rather than not say anything at all, I just want to let you know that we are thinking about you. We love you and will be praying for your family. You are such a strong person and have already had to deal with so, so much. Your special baby is so lucky to come to such a neat family and I know baby will be very, very loved. I hope we all get a chance to meet him/her one day. Love-Mark and Kelly Wilcock
April,
We just heard and read about what is going on. We are so sorry for your difficult trial right now, but it looks like you are already making some sweet memories for your family. You are an inspiration of faith to so many! Hang in there- you are in our thoughts and prayers. My sister's oldest had Edward's Syndrome. For something that is so rare, we have met a few others with the same thing. It's hard, but you will find the sweet peace that comes from Heavenly Father.We are thinking of you. You are amazing!
Suzy and Mike
Post a Comment