Thursday, July 23, 2009

Opa's Funeral

I know! Another funeral! About a month after Evan died, my grandpa (dad's dad) passed away. He was always my Opa but when we reconnected when I got older, he preferred to be called Grandpa. My Grandpa Karl was born and grew up in Germany. He was forced to fight in WWII at a very young age. He married my Oma, had three kids (another on the way) then came to America. They had the rest here, including my dad. Seven kids! When I was really little my Oma and Opa got divorced. He eventually got married to Linda. They loved to travel and do temple work. They lived a simple life. It's sad he's gone but he's in a better place! Somewhere where his paranoid schizophrenia doesn't exist... Like I said, a better place!
Brayden, Karah, Alyssa and Luke taking a peek
My girls
I love this picture-it's cool! This is my Oma (in the middle)-They were married for 30 years and he was the father of her children so she attended to funeral with us.
My dad and his wife Kim
Linda Mettmann
I never realized the view from the cemetary on Redwood Rd would be this nice! Here are some pictures of Grandpa Karl with the great grandkids!
Karl and Karah (She was almost 5 months old.)
The next year with baby Brayden (he was about 8 months old.)
Brayden, Grandpa and Karah
Karah at about 17 months old
At the funeral, I found out new things that I didn't know about him. One of which is, I found out he had two middle names and the one I didn't know about was Michael! His name was Karl Heinz Michael Mettmann. Remember, Evan Michael! Evan was named after Shawn's dad, Michael and now I find out he's got a connection to my grandpa too-cool!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. You have had a couple sad months. I hope the next couple will be very uplifting and wonderful for you.

walkin on cloud nine said...

Nice blog about Karl. Fun pictures of the little ones with him. I remember that visit. He always looked forward to seeing them.

Kaycee said...

I liked your post.